Hi everyone! For Ruby Rock-It I created this tutorial "from the past" and I thought it would be fun to share it here too.
When I was in primary school (a very long time ago) I learned how to paper weave and how I created little woven table cloths for my mother and grandmothers. I had totally forgotten about this fun technique until I recently saw it again somewhere on the world wide web.
I remember how much fun I had weaving strips of papers and decided to use this technique for the tutorial for Ruby Rock-It. With Father's Day around the corner, I edited the idea of the table cloth a bit and create a paper pleated (heart) gift bag for my dad.
Let me show you what I made for my father, using Ruby Rock-It Bella!'s "Father" mini collection:
And here's how you do it:
1. Cut 2 strips of paper measuring 3" x 9":
2. Fold them in half so they measure 3" x 4.5" and cut the open end of the strips you just folded half round. I used a frame from Technique Tuesday to draw a half circle with a pencil, before cutting it.
3. Now, they should look like this:
4. Next, use a pencil and draw 2 lines, dividing both the yellow and dotted folded strip in three 1" strips and hand cut them like this (start the cuts on the closed side and end a little in the round curve):
5. Now comes the "weaving" part. Weave the left dotted strip IN the right yellow strip, like this:
6. Next, the middle yellow strip goes IN the left dotted strip:
7. And then, like step 5, the left dotted strip goes IN the (left) yellow strip:
8. Next, the right yellow strip goes IN the middle dotted strip and then the middle dotted strip goes IN the middle yellow strip. The left yellow strip goes IN the middle dotted strip again:
9. The last strip (dotted) goes IN the right yellow strip:
10. The middle yellow strip goes IN the dotted strip:
11 And last but not least, the right dotted strip goes IN the left yellow strip:
12. You've now created the base for your gift bag:
13. Cut a strip of paper for the handle of your gift bag (I cut it at approx. 1" x 8") and adhere with two brads (one on the front and one on the back):
14. The last step is embellishing your gift bag. I've used some of the fun die-cuts from the Bella! Father mini collection, plus some fabulous Bella! bling and a flower.
As my father loves chocolate chip cookies, I put a large cookie inside:
This is it! Hope you like it! And I hope it all made sense! If you've got any questions after reading this, please let me know and I'll try to answer them asap!
Here's my Ruby Rock-It Bella! supply list:
3" round template
Thank you so much for visiting my blog today!! Hope I inspired you to do some crafting for Father's Day!